Friday, November 24, 2017

The boot and me



          I’m in a boot, but told I am not allowed to do any weight bearing for four weeks.  Four weeks.  Ugh.  Valerie and her husband Jack have been sooo gracious and welcoming.  I spent Thanksgiving with them and Jack’s family, and enjoyed myself tremendously.
My life is a bit askew
           You know, I haven’t played cards in a long time, but when friends of Jack and Valerie came over in the evening to play cribbage, I joined in.  It didn’t take long before I remembered how to play and how to score. 

Simple pleasures.  How often do we take time for the simple pleasures of life?  Our lives are so busy that we forget to stop, and just enjoy what is before us.  Are our lives too busy?  Are we so captured by technology that we have forgotten how to take a walk, play a board game, dash into the sea, accept an impromptu invitation, be spontaneous!?  Isn’t spontaneity what gives life its zest?  The things we do in the spur of the moment, setting aside our fear of making an error or "being foolish", are where we find our greatest and perhaps most unanticipated pleasures.  Oh, sure, sometimes we can fall flat on our faces, but what of that?  Isn’t it worth the risk to have a rich life, full of friendships and precious moments?  Sometimes I have to be reminded of that, and I’m grateful for those moments that I would have missed had I been too busy to enjoy the unexpected and the opportune.  May I never be too busy to live.



1 comment:

  1. Oh My Goodness Joy ... you are full of surprises. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete