Friday, September 4, 2020

An Evening Walk

It's been a long time since I blogged, but my walk this evening felt so good that I wanted to share it.

Maine is beautiful in the summer and fall.  As I walked today, I found myself appreciating the natural world that is so much a part of rural Midcoast Maine.

Stone walls are everywhere, a reminder that "Good fences make good neighbors".

A reminder, too, of just how many rocks came out of fields when plowing in the early days. Maine grows rocks, heaving them out of the ground in the spring when frost thaws.



 Dead and dying trees become home for grubs and insects, and in turn, feeding grounds for woodpeckers. Slowly the wood returns to the earth as it crumples.  The patterns are marvelous, mysterious holes begging to be considered.


A late Scotch Bluebell blooms next to a dying tree. I was surprised to see it there.  They usually bloom in July.









The blueberry field always offers a spectacular view of the bay, making it one of my favorite spots.






It's fascinating how the ripe grasses take on a feathery aspect as we move into fall. 












The last of the blueberries.  The harvesters came very late this year. I wasn't sure they were coming at all, but they appeared the last week of August, rushing in one day and gone the next.

This patch escaped their notice, probably because it was on the edge of the opposite field, which was fallow this year so escaped notice.  There are many varieties of wild blueberries in Maine, some very dark, almost black, and some the familiar blue that we associate with "real" blueberries. These are falling off the bush, ripened and left behind for birds and wildlife, and sometimes the occasional gleaner.

When I see the string left behind by the harvesters, I worry that small animals can become entangled.  I think tomorrow I'll go back with a knife and a spool to collect as much as I can.

It's easy for the unwary to be fooled.  These are not blueberries, not even in the same family. Alder Buckthorn are native to England but are found in North America. The plant is prized for use as hedgerows, but can be used medicinally as well.
 

Granite is everywhere in New England. The frost heaves that grow stones in Maine also break granite into pieces. The result is fascinating and beautiful, Earth's sculpture.                                    
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment